About The Song
“Just Pretend” is a song recorded by Elvis Presley and released on his 1970 album That’s the Way It Is.
– It was written by Guy Fletcher and Doug Flett.
– The lyrics portray someone asking their lover to “just pretend” that their relationship is still strong, even if the feelings have faded.
– Elvis first performed the song live in Las Vegas in 1970. It was never released as a single, but appeared on the That’s the Way It Is album.
– “Just Pretend” shows Elvis’ smooth vocals and country/pop blend. Music critics noted it was a strong album track.
– Though not as famous as hits like “Suspicious Minds”, “Just Pretend” is considered one of Elvis’ better later-career recordings that deserves more recognition.
– Elvis only performed the song live during his 1970 Vegas season. It was never a concert staple once Elvis returned to touring in the 1970s.
– The most famous live version is from the That’s The Way It Is documentary/album from 1970
🎵 Let’s sing along with the lyrics! 🎤
Just pretend, I’m holding you
And whispering things soft and low
And think of me, how it’s gonna be,
Just pretend I didn’t go
When I walked away, I heard you say
If you need me, you know what to do
I knew it then, I’d be back again
Just pretend I’m right there with you
And I’ll come flying to you, again
All the crying is true
Oh, I will hold you and love you again
But until then, we’ll just pretend
Oh, it’s funny but I can’t recall the things
We said or why you’re crying
But now I know it was wrong to go
I belong here by your side